Sunday 28 June 2015

Health & Fitness Update 22/06/2015 to 28/06/2015

This week started poorly but has ended in a high. I really felt crappy this week, I cant even remember why I felt so bad because there has been a complete upturn in attitude and ability! As I felt so crappy I didn't really push myself but on Thursday some switched and I made an incredibly exciting decision.

My food has been okay, yogurt, blueberries and granola for breakfast most days along with the odd cooked breakfast at work, as I don't have meat it isn't too bad, beans, mushrooms, potatoes and eggs are usually what I go for, plus I like the idea of having my first two meals but and my evening meal light. As James is due to move out next Wednesday I think I'll make sure that is the norm rather than exception so that when I get in at night I'm just having some soup or beans on toast, depending on my activity.


My steps haven't really improved that much this week, apart from at the weekend which I'll get into in a moment. I still try and get away from my desk at work routinely to stretch my legs but it can depend on what I'm doing, sometimes I can't get away but I do try to visit people at their desks, or deliver items in person just to get the extra steps in.

Now because I was feeling rubbish and hot, I didn't do any exercise until the weekend. I started to feel a bit ropey for not doing any exercise, I do like it, I don't love it all the time but it isn't such an awful thing. Now Thursday afternoon I was in reception at work, the only place with mobile signal, and an offer came by text from my local swimming pool/gym, it was a rest of the month free, next month half price type deal. Now I've ignored these for a while but for some reason I felt motivated. My local pool/gym is really good value but I hadn't felt confident enough to join. Something has switched lately, my new partner, Jason, makes me really happy, and although James was great and encouraged me, he has never said that I'm ugly, fat, he always tried to help with how I felt, it just never worked with him. I suppose Jason makes me feel like nobody else exists and that has led to a new found confidence. So I went that day and joined!

There are many plus points to the gym and pool. Firstly the price is great, a corporate discount due to my work means I pay £27.20 a month. This is unlimited swimming, gym and lessons. It also means I get out of the house, working out at home is quite stressful (and super hot right now), my mum can come in and out, ask me awkward questions when I'm in a downward facing dog pose. I also don't get to see Jason very often so it's a nice to have something to distract me when I know I might not see him for a week or two. Now due to being a couple of staff members down I don't have my gym induction until this coming week but of course the swimming pool and lessons are things I can immediately get into. I've focussed on swimming, I use to swim an awful lot when I was younger so getting back into the pool was amazing. I picked up a new swimming costume Friday evening and went swimming Saturday morning and Sunday morning. My pool also has Swimtag which means I can monitor how many lengths I do which makes it all the more exciting (see results from today below). The other bonus is that as I'm walking there and back I'll end up doing around 3000 steps total when I do this. Now I plan to do both the gym and swim some nights and on days I don't feel like exercising I'll swim as swimming was a hobby I enjoyed for so long it just doesn't feel like I'm making any effort.



7 comments:

  1. Oooh congratulations, it sounds like you've really found your thing in swimming - if you can get exercise in and enjoy it, you'll be much more likely to stick at it. The swimtag sounds like a great idea too - I'd never heard of that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, I went again today, it manages to be both a workout and something that relaxes me completely! The swimtag is amazing, there are quite a few leisure centres that offer it, it's nice to compete with myself! xx

      Delete
  2. I love swimming but somehow have got out of the habit I think it might be something I try and pick back up too!
    AliceMegan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, it's really worthwhile if you enjoy it, I can't believe I haven't done it for so long, I love it so much and care so little about what anyone things. It really is worth just going for it, it makes it so much easier if you enjoy it! xx

      Delete
  3. It's hard to motivate yourself to exercise outside when it's hot outside. I loved walking around outside at work on my lunch break when it was cooler but I've been slacking since the weather has gotten hotter. Sounds like you're really getting into swimming. That's awesome that you've found an exercise that you really enjoy!

    Amy | Dervish Darling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swimming has just been amazing in the hot weather, and the air conditioning at the gym is worth the membership in itself! xx

      Delete